Problem setting file type defaults and sundry warnings

Title: Problem setting file type defaults and sundry warnings
I've recently installed gnome 1.4 from source, on a Linux-from-scratch system. I followed the directions provided on the Gnome web site with regard to selection, order and installation of packages. General system-type library packages were installed --prefix=/usr, Gnome-specific packages were installed --prefix=/usr/gnome (in retrospect, probably a bad choice). Everything built with a minimum of fuss, and for the most part seems to work. The one thing that does not work at all is setting 'File Types and Programs' through the Control Center. I make the changes for a MIME Type, noting that my change appears in the 'Default Action' column, and click 'OK.' When I go back into the 'File Types and Programs' capplet, the change is gone. Furthermore, it doesn't even pretend to change the icon; I select an icon but it never appears in the display box next to the 'Change Icon' button.

I have also observed that on the text console from which I started X, I get a *lot* of warning and error messages, most apparently generated by Gtk, things like:

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler containing data (0x some 32 bit hex number)

or

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 730 (get_container_remove) assertion 'some assertion here' failed

Occasionally I see warnings or errors from VFS, which I assume are related to my MIME type problems, or messages from other gnome subsystems (ORBit, oaf, etc). Anyone have any suggestions?

John

'To strip a motivated people of their dignity, and then rub their noses in it, is generally regarded as a bad idea.'
 - John Ross