Re: patch to esound to use ARts (KDE sound subsystem) if it's running

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

 Hi!

> > noticable delay in sound playback of course. If no ARts was started for
> > current user when ESD was started, the sound will be passing only through one
> > sound server (esd) - as it always was before applying the patch.
> >

> Is there a reason for esd dlopening arts lib not having libesd open it
> instead ?

 I will ask the author about this, but the reasons could be of course not that
compatible programming models of esd and arts (or probably there is no C API
for arts that supports all functions needed for emulation) and (less likely)
desire not to increase data segment of apps using libesd signtifically (by
pages of libartsc and libs it depends upon).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad