GNOME2 in many prefixes

Hi,

Continuing my mission of using Debian's packages of the core GNOME2
libraries, I have hit a major problem...

When $HOME/gnome2/bin/gnome-session starts it starts up
/usr/bin/bonobo-activation-server, which looks in
/usr/lib/bonobo/servers for servers. Of course when
$HOME/gnome2/bin/gnome-panel starts it can't register as
bonobo-activation doesn't know about the files in
$HOME/gnome2/lib/bonobo/servers...

This gets complicated...  I set BONOBO_SERVER_PATH (I think) and that
sort-of worked but then I had problems with the panel menu not
containing items from the menus in $HOME/gnome2...

Is there a variable I can set which contains the base paths for all of
the GNOME components? If I could set it to "$HOME/bin/gnome2:/" so that
my personally build software and then package built is used that would
be really cool.

(In case anyone is interested -- a complete Garnome build is ~250M on my
desktop but the without the core libraries its only 85M)

Regards,
Ross
                                       jabber: rossburton jabber org
                        diary: http://advogato.org/person/RossBurton