Re: Accessibility and CSS [was: Changing Yelp to use GtkHtml1 instead of GtkHtml2]

Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
> I don't understand this. I think it's pretty obvious that we just CANT USE
> GtkHTML2. It's unmaintained and broken. The "it's more work to add
> accessibility to GtkHTML1" argument is void, since it doesn't count
> the work needed (which won't happen) to make GtkHTML2 WORK AT ALL.

Agree, we need to consider "works" a requirement that's at least as
important as the feature list. Though "works" isn't much of a bullet
point, it is sort of a prerequisite. ;-)

To me we're just hosed for 2.0.0 Yelp, we need to go into emergency
mode and do something that displays the help pages we ship without
crashing, reasonably efficiently. If it crashes on arbitrary HTML,
fine; don't allow http URLs. If the accessibility work can be done
before the UI freeze in 6 days, fine; if it can't, we lose that
feature for 2.0.0, sorry.  I'm not sure it matters a whole heck of a
lot which widget we use, but whichever one we use, there isn't time to
do _anything_ but nail down the crash bugs and ship it. If one of them
has accessibility working and can be made to work for the help pages
we ship over the next couple weeks, then let's use that one.

Just pick a widget, put it in, fix the major bugs in the most
expedient way, make a realistic plan and schedule for getting a real
solution, and then we can talk about which release that real solution
will be in.

If we wanted the real solution for 2.0.0, well, someone should have
thought of that before now. None of us did.

Havoc