Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:59:33AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Right, I understand that this can be useful sometimes. I just can't
> get over the fact that all Windows and Mac users (i.e. 90-something
> percent of desktop users) and also many UNIX users (e.g. me and all
> KDE or twm users) get by fine without ever using the feature...

Maybe they dont know what they are missing :)

> If the issue is desire to have a big app and navigate around it
> easily, some really silly little feature like a keybinding that moved
> an app around in screen-size increments would be a lot less intrusive
> and overall design-impacting than adding viewports. I don't know about
> that solution but maybe something like that. If the whole problem is
> viewing big apps, viewports say "overengineering" to me.

I think it's more about flexibility.  Having said that, if viewports
disappear from GNOME2 I'd be vaguely irritated, rather than fuming.  And
if the spec/design and implementation didnt actually prevent them being added
back by someone sufficiently motivated then thats fair enough.

- Dick