Re: new background capplet concerns

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Does the HIG really say to use title caps instead of sentence caps for
> dialog control labels?

No, it currently says to use sentence caps for most things in dialogs,
other than button labels:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/layout.html#layout-capitalization

If there's a mismatch between this table and the more detailed sections
on each type of control, it needs fixing.

> That seems really wrong in this case: "Border
> the Picture with A:" In fact, this particular label is using a
> sentence-like structure so I don't think the colon here is right.

Putting controls into sentences is generally a bad idea, though, as word
order can vary considerably between different languages.  (The HIG
doesn't mention this, but it probably should).  In general, something
like "Picture border: [control]" would be potentially more localizable,
although this particular instance may not be a problem anyway.

I haven't used this new dialog yet either, so I'll reserve judgement on
the other points Anna raised.  (I did have one very quick peek at the
screenshot she attached, though, and I have to confess my initial
reaction was "what on earth do I do here"?)

Cheeri,
Calum.