Re: GNOME Desktop Version String

Luis Villa wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 11:49, Glynn Foster wrote:
>> Yeah, that's the thing...it really doesn't make much sense when you've
>> got people updating their system on a regular basis and getting the
>> latest and greatest packages...
>
>Well, it could, if there is some agreed upon standard for indicating
>when things were last updated, etc.
>
>> But for someone who gets *just* the releases, then this could prove
>> useful...I guess we just need to have a think about how it could be
>> useful.
>
>I think it could be very useful, for a number of reasons- for example,
>bug-buddy could grab it, and it would be easy to ask newbies who file
>bugs 'tell me what version of gnome you have installed.'
>
>The trick is that '1.4' or '2.0' by themselves are not of much use.
>Perhaps this could be a set of values of some type?
>
>Like:
>*Version- could be general, like 1.4, 2.0, etc.
>*Vendor- Ximian, Red Hat, GNOME Packaging Project, Sun, etc.
>*'Built on date'- not necessarily a build date, but a 'when released to
>the world' type date, so that bug people have at least a rough estimate
>of when it was built and what type of patches might be or not be in. For
>vendors with updating stuff (like, say, if RH does a patch release of
>major components, or Red Carpet updates key components) we could touch
>this and update it.

Yes, all of these could be usefully included.

You are right, there should be an agreement as to what format
this file should take.  It could contain identified fields
(version, vendor, etc) or simply contain free-form text to a
maximum number of chars/lines so that apps like "About Gnome"
or "System Info" would know how to use it - if they so chose.

John