Re: Use of "UNIX"

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The gnome-terminal desktop file has:
>
>  Comment=Enter UNIX commands
>
> I'm not sure "Enter UNIX commands" is a great description of a
> terminal program, but more specifically, I think "UNIX" here is
> inappropriate. Many systems that GNOME runs on are not legally "UNIX".
>
> "UNIX and UNIX-like" or simply "UNIX-like" should be fine, but doesn't
> work here. I thinik we need to use something generic like "Enter shell
> commands".
>
> (Filed as #73732).

Why not just change it to "enter shell commands" - it is not clear what an
"unix" command would be in this context - for example, "xterm" definately
isn't correctly described as a "unix" command. The description "Enter UNIX
commands" suspiciously looks liek having lost touch with reality somehwre
along the way. The terminal after all doesn't enter any commands, unix or
not butmerely opens a terminal window.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding