Re: panel focus

Seth Nickell wrote:

> Every person I've had upgrade to GNOME 2 has commented on the weird
> "panel gets lighter" thing to me.
>
> Additionally, this has a not insignificant usability cost because it
> means when you use the panel your current focused window almost always
> ends up unfocused. This makes the panel feel like a window, which it
> shouldn't. I don't know how to describe this except that it makes the
> panel feel "heavy" somehow that it steals focus from windows.
>
> Compare this to GNOME1 where focus is temporarily snatched from the
> window, but as soon as you are done it goes back to the window. Feels
> *MUCH* more natural.
>
> Is there a reason mouse clicks should ever focus the panel like this?
> People who are seriously going to be using keyboard nav for the panel
> probably aren't going to be using mice. Can we only do this weird focus
> voodoo on keyboard activation? i.e. you can only focus the panel using
> the keyboard (or maybe mouse clicks *directly* on the panel with no
> dragging or anything).

Well, for one thing I don't believe that a mouse click on an applet
should focus the panel; e.g. the panel should only get "lighter" if
you click on the panel itself or keynav to it, not if you focus
a child of the panel.  If the current behavior doesn't match this, then
I think it should be reconsidered; I don't see a downside to your last
sentence.

However I do think that if you click on the panel, your app window
should defocus; otherwise we are violating the premise that the panel
is just a "special app" rather than a part of the WM.

> For non-disabled users this focus stuff is a significant net loss, so
> I'd like to find a solution that doesn't mess with normal users at all
> but still leaves the panel accessible. It seems restricting focusing of
> the panel to keyboard mechanisms would work.

I am concerned about the inconsistency implications of this, but as I
said
I don't have a problem with only giving the panel background "visual
focus
indication" if you click/nav to the panel and not a panel child.

-Bill