Re: punted bugs and 2.0.0 - major reversion - further investigation

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 14:44, Mike Martin wrote:
> > >  --- Luis Villa <louie ximian com> wrote: > Since we're at the
> > > point
> > > now where we have (basically) 1 2.0.0 bug,
> > this

> > but

> > late]
> >
> menu editing has had a serious reversion between
> gnome-vfs-1.9.17/nautilus-1.1.19/control-ceter-1.99.10 and
> gnome-vfs cvs/nautilus-2.0/control-center cvs (cvs yesterday)
>
> previous behaviour
>
> able to create menu items inside nautilus via wizard
> able to move menu items between categories
> occasional nautilus crash while doing the above, but changes saved
> and restart fine
> new items only appear after restart
>
> current behaviour
>
> wizard works, creates menu item desktop file, but does not appear
> anywhere in the menus
>
> if you try to rename a menu item, the item dissapears from the
> menus
> nautilus zombies (has to be explicitly killed, otherwise no
> feedback
> to user, nautilus just wont start)
>
> This happens whether you edit the caption in nautilus or in the
> dialog.
>
> Unwanted changes applied immediately, ie:missing menu items
>
> so sometime in the last few days menu editing has gone from usable
> to catastrophic
>
> #84140 needs to be re-opened

The problem appears to affect new items in the Other category

Also I see two problems with the Other entry in
applications.vfolder-info

 <Folder>
      <Name>Other</Name>
      <Desktop>Applications.directory</Desktop>

###### same name as directory for overall menu - confuses gnome-vfs and

nautilus/panel zombies ############
      <OnlyUnallocated/>
      <Query>
	<And>
          <Keyword>Application</Keyword>

######### this is rediundant and excludes most applications #######

           <Not>
            <Keyword>Settings</Keyword>
          </Not>
        </And>
      </Query>
      <DontShowIfEmpty/>
    </Folder>

My humble suggestion would be to change to

 <Folder>
      <Name>Other</Name>
      <Desktop>Other.directory</Desktop> # rename of .directory file
      <OnlyUnallocated/>
      <Query>
        <Not>
          <Keyword>Settings</Keyword>
        </Not>
      </Query>
    </Folder>

On my system these changes have stopped the problem

Nautilus still crashes (but does not zombie which is worse) but using
the panel works perfectly to add and delete launchers and nautilus works
to move launchers (and create categories?) which is probably the right
approach.

The only issue is that you have to resart to show items added to Other
category - maybe not a problem.

Would people agree on this approach - about as simple as it gets.