Re: GNOME 2.0 feedback

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 07:24, Calum Benson wrote:
> "Nautilus isn't a terribly good file manager. It's slow and hard to
> use. It doesn't offer a tree view. Its visible appearance is dull, and
> it's not especially quick. It doesn't have any real shortcuts or
> accelerators. While it does have a couple of nifty features that look
> good in demos, I think I'm going to have a hard time selling this to
> our users, who are used to the (superior based on what I've seen so
> far) CDE file manager.

Anyone familiar with CDE's file manager (which last I used, was pretty
god-awful) care to do a feature-by-feature comparison for the nautilus
people? [Calum, that's not you- you've got more important things to do
like finish the HIG ;)

> "Even when I get to the configuration by right-clicking on an icon, it's
> an incomprehensible dialog box. But once you've configured an
> application you still get the 'no application/viewer for filename.xls'
> dialog box when you right-click.

He needs to read the release notes ;)

> "If you minimize a window it hides in the panel at the bottom. (This
> paradigm is all very well for trivial task-based work. It's a nightmare
> for those of us who work with hundreds of windows open.)

OK, this is so edge case we should feel fine ignoring it :)

> Once
> minimixed, you can click on it to bring it back. On the desktop, you
> can click on it in the lower panel to bring it to the front. I *think*
> I can minimize it by double-clicking in the panel, but I'm not sure, as
> double-clicking often does nothing, and occasionaly single-clicking
> will minimize it. This sort of inconsistent behaviour drives users mad.

Bug 79500.

> "In the workspace switcher, you can drag windows between workspaces, but
> dragging within a workspace doesn't cause the window to move (despite
> it moving in the workspace switcher view).

Hrm. Seems like this is a regression- I thought it did that.

Luis