Re: simplifying the "Startup programs"

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 23:26, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>
> On 16 Jul 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > Heya,
> >
> > I found the UI for the startup programs to suck quite a bit. The startup
> > programs tab in the "Session properties" is too complicated for its own
> > good. There are 2 parts in the changes I propose:
> >
> > 1) Backend: this is the code in g-s-m. It would launch every script,
> > executable and .desktop file in (for example) ~/.gnome2/startup-files/
> >
> > 2) UI: Remove the "Startup Programs" tab from the properties, and add a
> > "Open Startup Items Folder" button in the Options tab, which would
> > launch nautilus in that directory.
> >
> > So, people would just dump their scripts, links and .desktop files in
> > that directory. This equivalent to Windows' and MacOS' startup folder.
>
> 	Sounds like a nice idea. Obviously this will won't go into the
> 2.0.x stream though.
>
> 	If you go about implementing this, please try and retain
> support for lauching whatever is in ~/.gnome2/session-manual as well.

Should I keep the UI for it then, or should I plain remove the UI, and
get g-s-m to automatically convert the stuff in session-manuel to, say,
.desktop files and put them in the right place ?

Otherwise users will get stuff started, with no UI to modify it.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net