Menu editing and string freeze

I have just downloaded and installed latest desktop,panel and session -
still no sign of any menu editing!!!

So can I assume that as all that seems to have happened since 2.0 is
that all useful menu features (like properties) have been further
removed, there are no plans for menu editing until October at the
latest.( string/UI freeze imminent - friday)

Dont mean to to moan but does not this strike anyone else as ridiculous
considering how close we were to functioning meu editing before 2.0