Re: Gnome-Media 1.100.0 released

Iain,

Has anyone taken a close look at the CDDB licensing ramifications?

See:

http://www.cddb.com/dev/licensing.html

This page seems to indicate that a license is required to access the CDDB
database if the software is commercial. Commercial is defined as generating
revenue from -- software sales, licensing, or shareware fees; upgrade,
full-version, or support fees; revenue from advertising, links, or
e-commerce on a web site that provides a link from which the application
can be downloaded. This definition is broad enough to make distributions of
GNOME by companies such as Sun, Red Hat, Ximian, etc. fall into the
commercial category, thus requiring a license

Am I missing something here? Perhaps the license is needed only for those
using the Gracenote source code to develop a CDDB application, not for
independently developed code that accesses the database through a public
protocol.

Gary