Re: GNOME 2.0 Desktop "You Are Here" Update

[..] We have a beta release next week. :) Packages are due on the 28th, or
preferably beforehand so we can release it earlier in the week.

The alpha release went very well, with only a couple of packages coming in
late. If we can do the same with the beta, distributors can have binaries
out faster, and testers will have a better opportunity to report bugs during
the long gap between this beta and the release candidate.

Would it be posible to build in a point in the schedule for the Gnome Packaging Team to let its eyeballs roll over the 'release' packages, so we can add .spec files and build RPMs (atleast for redhat 7.2) in time for this release?

Currently the binary rpm packaging of the gnome2 releases seems to be in a bit of a mess, and i'd like to see that improved in the future to ensure we get as many eyeballs on the gnome2 platform as posible (without destroying said users system).

I have already started working on a new set of .spec files for the alpha release packages, and they are nearing perfection as we speak (big thanks to Roy-Magne Mo for his help on that), so i am fully confident we can provide a set of well working spec files / rpm's in time for the release.

For my initial email on this subject, please take a look at:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-January/msg00406.html

   -- Chris Chabot