Fonts in Gnome 2.0 Alpha

While playing around with my .gtkrc-2.0 file, i notice that the "font" = "blah" has no effect at all on my gnome applications.

Also, in the few apps that do have font selectors, i notice that there only 6 or so of my (300+) fonts are shown in the list. (All ttf is missing for sure, served thru X directly as -microsoft-* fonts, which are used already and working well in gnome1).

Is there a way to get all fonts exposed, and use these in the gnome 2 apps?

The default font is _way_ to small on my 1400x1050 notebook screen and 1600x1200 desktop screen. Makes real testing very difficult ;-)

   -- Chris