more fun gconf breakage

Hi,

GConf bugs related to whether directories do or don't exist have been
causing the panel to not work, so I spent most of yesterday working on
this and just finished it up. It "appears to work" but probability
that I introduced bugs is high; please report everything, ideally with
some kind of instructions on how to reproduce.

Anyhow, I checked it in on the release-early-and-often principle.

Sadly I don't have good (hardly any) test coverage of directory
listing, dir_exists(), etc. behavior, and also none for GConfClient,
so it's hard to know if things are broken. I plan to do some more test
code as soon as I can. In the meantime, there's a small chance the
panel works better now.

Havoc