Re: [Usability] Re: Control-center styles

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 03:44:41PM -0500, John Kodis wrote:
> When given the choice, I tend to close dialogs (and most other
> windows) using the close button supplied by the dialog because,
> contrary to your argument, I find that this speeds up the use of the
> dialog.  This is because the close button in a dialog can be made much
> larger and easier to hit than the tiny and cryptically marked close
> button provided by the window manager.  It's impractical to make the
> WM close button as large, since this would needlessly bloat up the
> space required for the titlebars on all visible windows.

Same here, I have a trackball and hitting the close button takes less
concentration then the window manager 'x' button.  Not as bad as resizing a
window, but I don't do that as often.

Also I've realized one more thing.  I don't remember the keyboard shortcut
'close-window', but I can just tab over to the close button and press enter
(I know I should be hitting space, but I can't help myself, see debate a few
months ago).  So I don't need to remember a keyboard shortcut to close a
window using the keyboard.

> Simple: because closing the dialog is the only action that's going to
> happen each and every time that a dialog pops up, typically within a
> few seconds of the dialog's appearance.  The speed improvement makes
> it worth providing an easy to hit target for such a common case.

Yup, maximize and minimize are really 'fringe actions' on such windows.  I
mean when was the last time you maximized a settings dialog.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.