Environment variables to be set for Gnome 2?

Hi,

before I run around reporting further bugs I thought it would be a good
idea to check if I run it right.

I've installed the Alpha 2 with Garnome to /some/dir as root.
If I run it (as user) do I have to set environment variables? I think of
stuff I heard about like GNOME_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH, ACLOCAL_FLAGS, GTK_MODULE_PATH or possibly others
(GDK_USE_XFT is well advertised)

Thanks for input
--

I did not vote for the Austrian government