Minutes for release-team - 2002-12-18

Here are the minutes for yesterday's release-team meeting.

Murray Cumming
murray usa net
Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-12-18

Present:                        Apologies:

Murray Cumming                  Mark McLoughlin - difficult timezone    
Frederic Crozat                                     
Jeff Waugh (chairing)
Glynn Foster
Luis Villa                     
Jody Goldberg                            


  DONE: Send reminder that the UI Freeze happened a few days ago.
  => Both Jeff and Glynn sent emails.

  PENDING: Jeff to update Modules list on developer.gnome.org's dotplan.
  => Still not done. Murray will try to do it, with some script that's in the
     releng module, with Jeff's help.

  PENDING: Jeff to create check-list of "things to do before major
  release" and maintain it so it's ready for 2.2.0.
  => Jeff plans to do this real soon.

  PENDING: Jeff to ensure clear directions for Xft2 are in GNOME 2.1.x
  release notes.
  => Almost done - written but not checked in.

  PENDING: Jeff to try changing install-module to get/enforce entries in
  NEWS files.
  => No one has done anything yet.

  NEW: Glynn to invite Bill Hanneman to a meeting after 2.2
  => DONE soon after the meeting.

  NEW: Fred to ping Padraig for a fixed GtkHtml tarball.
  => DONE - tarball will be in the 2.1.5 release.

  NEW: Jody to get status report from Jonathon Blandford about the Theme capplet.

  NEW: Murray to remove old "Desktop Theme" capplet from jhbuild.

  NEW: Jeff to send an "description of ideal release process" email to the lists.

Decisions and discussion:
  * Bugs status

  Luis doesn't have much idea - he had a hard drive failure.
  There are build problems caused by the mysterious "-pthread versus libtool" issue - it's becoming 
  gradually clearer, and HEAD builds up to yelp, now that we are working around the problem in Makefiles.
  Gtkhtml crashes Yelp. Fred sent an email about it, and received a patch just after the meeting, which went 
  into a tarball release for 2.1.5.

  * Theme capplet
  Jonathon Blandford is working on a new theme applet, but it isn't ready yet. Apparently it's unstable and 
  their are UI problems. This could block the GNOME 2.2 release, though Jeff says we could revert to the
  previous capplet and choose icon themes based on GTK+ themes instead.

  This is the "Theme" applet (gnome-theme-manager), not the "Desktop Theme" applet. That's a metatheme thing 
  which should be removed from jhbuild - Murray will do that.

  We need to get a more informative status update from Jonathon. And let's release a new control center tarball 
  so that people can get a better look at it.

  * GNOME 2.4 speculation

  We discussed fairly radical changes to the release cycle, to encourage more Platform development, but decided
  that the current process is working well enough.

  People don't seem to fully understand the release process and its stages. We should describe how it's meant
  to work in an ideal world. Jeff will send an email.

  * Accessibility issues:

  Community and release team need better a11y status to understand what's going on and help with the project.
  We should invite Bill to a release-team meeting after 2.2 to try to resolve this.

Murray Cumming

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]