Re: dev environment for starters

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 06:18:02PM -0500, Neil Weisenfeld wrote:

> Here's the rub: I *live* in GNOME2.  Not in the Tron sense, but it's my
> daily desktop environment.  Is it maybe wise to install *releases* for
> general consumption and have a separate build area that's usually
> up-to-date w/ CVS HEAD for development?  Or do people tend to live daily
> w/ whatever is committed?

What I would generally do is build with jhbuild or garnome or
whatever; they install somewhere out of the normal location. Then keep
known-working RPMs/debs in /usr. Whenever you build the bleeding edge
stuff, log into it, if it's totally hosed then log out and revert to
using your system GNOME for that day.

Havoc