Minutes for release-team 2002-11-27 and 2002-12-04

Here are the minutes for today's release team meeting, and Telsa's
minutes from last week.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net

Present:                        Apologies:

Murray Cumming                  Glynn Foster (well, presumed..:)
Frederic Crozat                 Karl Gaffney
Telsa Gwynne                    Jody Goldberg
Jeff Waugh                      Mikael Hallendal
                                Luis Villa

Note: Everyone welcome Murray to the release team.

Actions:

  PENDING: Jeff to install analog or webalyser on the box hosting dotplan
  so we know what people are looking for/at/over.
  => gnome-sysadmin is snowed under. Jeff will do it.

  PENDING: Jeff to create check-list of "things to do before major
  release" and maintain it so it's ready for 2.2.0.
  => Jeff to post his list to the release-team list and then we can
  whack it into CVS or somewhere where everyone can see it.

  PENDING: Jeff to ensure clear directions for Xft2 are in GNOME 2.1.x
  release notes.

  PENDING: Telsa to start posting action item reminders at the weekend
  rather than five minutes before the meeting...
  => Telsa is at least remembering before the meeting, if not at
  the weekend.
  => Someone needs to take this over.

  PENDING: Mikael to prioritise API docs needed
  => Mikael needs to email about this.

  DONE: Mikael to mail Mathieu and ask if we can include his GObject docs.

  DONE: Luis to fix the broken links on
  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-20-report.html

  DONE: Jeff to post the current modules list and say "If you don't
  like, say now".

  NEW: Murray to ask Glynn or one of the other UI team how far the
  UI review got.

  NEW: Murray to update dotplan schedule.

Decisions and discussion:

  * Bug status

    Luis wasn't here: will presumably mail list with it.

  * 2.0.3 status

    Out "tomorrow" Australian time. Possibly "today" for some people.
    Release notes need minimal updating. There were few Changelogs
    posted with releases, so notes will be scanty here. We know
    there are more translations and bug fixes, but that's about it!

  * 2.1.x status

    There are a couple of updates due to the 2.1.x page. We are
    waiting on a couple of modules stikll (gnome-vfs, for example),
    but other than that, 2.1.3 is ready-ish. Coming out tomorrow
    Australian time.

  * Minor schedule changes (not slipping, though!)

    We have moved from Fridays to Mondays for due dates for tarballs.
    People always send them in Monday anyway, so we might as well
    give them the weekend. Consequently releases should then be on
    Wednesdays. We need to update the schedule to reflect this.
    http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/schedule/

  * UI freeze

    Glynn is not here so we don't know how far the UI review has
    progressed. In theory the UI freeze occurs in three days. We
    are not sure how feasible this is. We shall ask the UI review
    folks where they're up to and post to the list.

  * Changes to release team:

    Telsa is standing down. Everyone say hello to Murray Cumming.
    If Mikael is going to be away from keyboard a lot in the run-up
    to release, we may yet appoint another addition too.

Telsa
Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-12-04

Present:                        Apologies:

Murray Cumming                  Karl Gaffney (holiday)
Frederic Crozat
Jeff Waugh (chairing)
Glynn Foster
Mikael Hallendal
Luis Villa
Jody Goldberg

Actions:

  DONE: Telsa to start posting action item reminders at the weekend
  rather than five minutes before the meeting...
  => Murray did this for most items.

  DONE: Mikael to prioritise API docs needed
  => Mikael sent an email just before the meeting.

  DONE: Mikael to mail Mathieu and ask if we can include his GObject
docs.
  => Glynn sent Mikael the URL. In progress.

  DONE: Luis to fix the broken links on
  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-20-report.html

  DONE: Jeff to post the current modules list and say "If you don't
  like, say now".
  => Done, also covered by the 2.1.3 release notes.

  DONE: Murray to ask Glynn or one of the other UI team how far the
  UI review got.
  => Not complete, but that's OK - see discussion.

  DONE: Murray to update dotplan schedule.

  PENDING: Jeff to install analog or webalyser on the box hosting
dotplan
  so we know what people are looking for/at/over.
  => No change: gnome-sysadmin is snowed under. Jeff will do it.

  PENDING: Jeff to create check-list of "things to do before major
  release" and maintain it so it's ready for 2.2.0.
  => No change: Jeff to post his list to the release-team list and then
     we can whack it into CVS or somewhere where everyone can see it.

  PENDING: Jeff to ensure clear directions for Xft2 are in GNOME 2.1.x
  release notes.
  => Jeff forgot, will do it.

  NEW: Luis needs to post the RSN (Real Soon Now) bug status report.

  NEW: Jeff to update Modules list on developer.gnome.org's dotplan.

  NEW: Bring Mark McLoughlin into the release-team.

Decisions and discussion:

  * Bug status

    Luis is optimistic. Lot of panel and applet fixes happening, Kevin
    Vandersloot is active again. But there are some new crashes, and
    Nautilus icon-related regressions.

    Luis needs to post the RSN (Real Soon Now) bug status report.

    Bug-buddy - a patch has arrived recently from Fernando Herrera,
    which might improve it. Luis has a script to help find duplicates based
    on bug-buddy stack traces, to avoid getting swamped, but volunteers
    generally keep this under control.

    Murray thinks we should have more bug status available via web pages
    to show "This needs to be done" and "Start helping here" and "These
    patches have not been applied". Luis fixed and applied Murray's
    patch-count modification to
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-21-report.html

  * UI freeze

    We are now in UI freeze. Existing ui-review bugs should be fixed,
    but not new ui-review bugs.

    The UI review is not complete, but that's not too bad because we do
    time-based releases which just contain whatever _has_ been done.
    There are approximately 35 ui-review bugs (2 fixed so far). UI
    review should continue, but new bugs will be targeted at 2.4.

    As with 2.0, the bugsquad will nag maintainers through bugzilla ,
    marking bugs as high priority, for instance. It worked last time.

  * Not enough Dogfooding

    Not enough people are testing GNOME 2.2 yet. We need to get the word
    out that it's usable, so we get more bug reports and patches.

    Jeff says he is encouraging Garnome users to CC the garnome list
    with their bugzilla bugs.

    Jeff suggested naming an "early access" "release candidate" when
    GTK+ 2.2 is out, at the end of December, before the real release
    candidate. But we need a sensible name other than "release
    candidate".

  * Next 2.1.x release:

    There will be a call for tarballs for Monday, with a release on
    Wednesday.

  * Changes to release team:

    Mikael Hallendal is going to be on holiday during the end of the 2.2
    release cycle, so we need someone else to help approve API changes.

    Everyone agrees that Mark McLoughlin would be great, and he is
    willing. His NZ timezone means he can't be in phone meetings, but
    that's OK.