Re: Queries about release specifications [Was: who gets in and why]

On Thursday 29 August 2002 17:33, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 29 Aug 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > I think we need a whole lot more scrutiny of applications we're adding
> > to the platform - particularly [!] guaging code quality, something that
> > might seem revolutionary - but I think it's worth insisting on some
> > minimal code quality requirements to get stuff in, in some formal way
> > rather than "It works for me" sort of things - but hopefully if I'm
> > wrong there other people will point that out.
>
> 	I particularily agree with you on this point :-) Lets face it,
> when a new app is added, there's a reasonably good chance the original
> maintainer(s) will disappear off the scene leaving someone else to
> come in and take on the role. We need to have a high degree of
> confidence that the code quality is such that a new maintainer can
> come in and actually build on the existing code ...
>
> 	We don't need any more core modules with unworkable code and a
> new maintainer whose hands are tied by that very fact when it comes to
> trying to advance that module in new areas ... Enough GNOME modules
> have been re-written ...

Glynn and I are working on a GEP for additions to gnome-applets and
gnome-utils and gnome-games. The motivation being the vast amount of crappy
apps previously residing in those modules. I 100% agree with you here.
Perhaps we can form a GNOME wide GEP for module additions that adresses this
issue?

Regards,
Kevin