Re: "Desktop preferences" as a top-level item

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> "Desktop Preferences" is too long to be a toplevel item, we could put it
> in as "Preferences". I don't have a major objection to this, and agree
> that its conceptually cleaner than having Preferences under
> "Applications". Nils and I originally had something like this but shied
> away for various reasons (mostly that we felt it was promoting
> preferences to greater prominence than was useful). In retrospect I
> think its better to put it in a top level.

I'd appreciate when rethinking this item some consideration of where
systemwide config tools go, and where server config tools go (our
"System Settings" and "Server Settings" in Red Hat). Everyone is
bitching about the current layout which is:

 Preferences
 System Settings
 Server Settings

mostly they seem to want those three as submenus of a single toplevel
of some kind.

Putting Preferences in the toplevel menubar seems to make things
worse. (Not that Red Hat Linux is using the menu panel anyway right
now, but, if we were.)

Havoc