RE: who gets in and why, aka the GNOME Desktop inclusion criteria

Hey Patrick,

> I think that's great.  But why are you deprecating gnome-config when such a
> great app (like etherape  http://etherape.sourceforge.net) relies on it but
> the programmer is no longer active? (the project is closed).

The important thing to note here is that we are not deprecating the use
of gnome_config [an unfortunate bit of mis-information that we missed
when we reviewed the draft mail - me bad]. We've always said 'use GNOME
technology where it makes sense' - and this definitely applies to
gnome_config and GConf.

Obviously, if an application uses gnome_config for simple preferences it
would be great to move these into GConf - in fact file-roller still uses
gnome-config right now and we'd love to see this being part of 2.2.

But when you start to see how cool GConf is...ahhh...then you'll soon
want to port over ;)

Better still, why don't you try and work on etherape? - making sure that
it builds with the GNOME 2 libraries is a great start. I'm quite sure
that Juan will accept patches.

			See ya,
				Glynn ;)