Re: The problem (?) of gedit in handling different encoding file.

Hi,
the problem you reported is a different face of a known gedit problem (you can see it on bugzilla, bugs #91491, #89066, #85992).

ATM, gedit is using the following algorithm to load a file:

1. Try to load the file using the UTF-8 encoding
2. If it fails, try to load it using the current locale
3. It it fails, try to use ISO-8859-15 encoding

The solution proposed by Havoc could work, but only when the user try to load the file using the file selector. Furthermore, since gedit is using the bonobo-file-selector-util API to be ready for the new file selector, it is not so easy to implement (without writing custom file selector code).

In the following days, I will try to find a solution to this problem that works in all cases. BTW, I think the new file selector should optionally include a way to let the user manually specify the file encoding.

Ciao
Paolo