Re: Archive Generator -- a system tool?

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 14:25, Glynn Foster wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 18:13, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 18:45, snickell stanford edu wrote:
> > > I presume that when we actually decide to ship fileroller, it will be
> > > in place of "archive generator". Fileroller needs some serious
> > > usability work as it stands though.
> >
> > lemme guess, after this 'usability work' fileroller will become
> > unusable.
>
> Far from it actually...if you've seen the work of the UI/String review
> for 2.0.1 there has been an amazing amount of consistancy brought into
> GNOME - on top of the usability work that went on for 2.0.0, I
> personally believe GNOME is in the best shape it has ever been..
>

> 			See ya,
> 				Glynn ;)

Certainly by some standards at least.  However, with the recent emphasis
on Usability and more so on consistency I've noticed with growing
disdain that the more usable and consistent GNOME gets the less so the
rest of my desktop gets.  For instance:  I used to have no problems at
all changing the Preferences (or Settings... or Options...) in any of my
numerous applications; sure it might take some hunting but they were
always somewhere semi-intuitive to be found.  Changing them was a bit of
a hunt, but I knew it was going to be.  Now, I find myself wandering
confusedly through the Edit menu and scratching my head if I can't find
"Preferences" at the bottom.  And if there isn't an Edit menu, whoo-boy,
what am I supposed to do then? Look in the other menus? but why would
someone put preferences there, doesn't it belong in the Edit menu? I
mean, putting preferences under the "View" menu is just . . .
counterintuitive.  It's like putting catsup on a Sushi; sure it may
taste all right to you, but it's certainly not what the rest of the
world expects.

--Shahms
/me removes tongue from cheek