Re: Application names in menus

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:41, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
> > > It is not unusual to have two versions of major apps - one stable and
> > > one development
> > > eg: gnumeric-1.0 for full functionality and gnumeric-1.1.6 for gnome2
> > > testing
> >
> > That is unusual. How many GNOME users do you think are really
> > downloading and/or compiling GNOME 2 Gnumeric for testing? 5%? 2%?
> >

> I'm not sure if gnumeric would be a good present metric - i think mozilla
> would be a much better exmple. it might be also possible to get numbers of
> how much users do dowload teh binaries oif the next snapshot / alpha in
> addition to a stable version.

Look, my point is: lets accomodate this and fix the usabilty problem of
identical looking menu entries. But don't impose an uncommon case on the
standard case. Find ways of fixing the uncommon case without cracking
out the standard case (such as putting version numbers in *every* menu
entry). AFAICT, inculding a version field in the .desktop field and only
appending that when there are two applicatiotns with the same name
installed would fix this problem?

-Seth