Powertoolz[was:Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]]

This was mentioned somewhere before in this monster
thread, I think, but let's bring it up again:  why not
have a separate package for all the neeto, whiz-bang
features that the advanced users may or may not want.
We could call it "Sixth Toe" or "PowerToolz!" or
whatever.  If you like viewports, include a viewport
module in the "Powertoolz" package.  Advanced users
would have to install these tools themselves (which
they can easily do, as they're advanced users), and
the semi-mythical "average" users can have the desktop
that "just works" out of the box.

Note:
*we should not be doing this right now, but instead be
getting GNOME2 out the door.  The "Powertoolz" package
might be nice for GNOME 2.0.1, though.
*Ye who desire the neeto feature will have to step up
to the plate and maintain thy modules!  It's up to you
to build it, maintain it, and debug it.
*Since the "Powertoolz" would be in a separate package
and would not be bundled with the core, then bugs or
lack of maintainers for the "Powertoolz" would not
hold up the main GNOME releases.

Sound fair?
--- Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Rui Miguel Silva Seabra">
>
> > The world is not black and white.
> > man gcc, count the options.
>
> Wholly irrelevant.
>
> > I'm not one either, but I know the difference
> between being confused with
> > too many options in a row and feeling stuck with
> too few options.
>
> You have lots of options available! It seems you
> don't have the interface to
> them that you'd like.
>
> The idea of the 'crackpipe' control panel came up a
> long time ago: a place
> to configure all the crazy cool-kids settings that
> we're not going to
> inflict on users happy to use the sensible settings
> and interface provided
> by default.
>
>   *** READ! ->
>
>   Whoever writes this small app is going to have a
> groovy little project on
>   their hands, and lots of people willing to suggest
> and help out with cool
>   features and options to add.
>
>   *** <- READ!
>
> So, would you like to be that person? You could even
> create a 'crackpipe'
> keyword in bugzilla, and file ideas away for whoever
> decides to write this
> in the future.
>
> These are far more productive tasks than distracting
> everyone from the main
> aim of releasing a usable, maintainable desktop
> environment RSN.
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
>    "It's actually my new bandwidth conservation
> technique: compresion of
>                      al double leters." - Telsa
> Gwynne

=====