Re: Status of Help functionality for GNOME2 components

Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> ons 2002-04-24 klockan 16.10 skrev satyajit kanungo:
> > Hi All,
>
> > Yelp                           79482    To be re-done (as per Mikael
> > Hallendal)
>
> What is to be redone? The help.
>
> I was pointing out that if the help-browser needs help something about
> the UI in the help-browser is wrong. Perhaps I'm wrong but do people see
> need of help for the help-browser and if so, can you please point where
> help is needed so we might consider another solution that is easier to
> understand, thus removing the need for help.

Hi,

Well I think there needs to be help on help (ie how do I use the help system).
And I don't understand this opinion that if you have help then somehow you're
app sucks. People seem to be making huge assumptions on the level of
understanding that potential users of GNOME may have. I guess we won't be
having GNOME "for Mom&PoP(TM) at home" :)

Not just the UI (which should be very minimal, things like what each button
does) but how is the help information stored on GNOME. What types of
information there is, web based vrs desktop based vrs platform[1] based. Task
based help vrs tool/application based help?

Now this stuff doesn't have to be invoked from a Help menu, it could already
be in the help system, or you could keep the menu button and using to navigate
to the help on help (browser style). But since you already have a menubar, it
may seem strange that there's no help menu...

Nils

[1] Seth: I mean platform the OS, not platform the desktop :)