Re: Help accessibility [Was: New look of the yelp TOC for review]

On 18 Apr 2002, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 13:53, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > The actual requirement for accessibility with regard to theming is that
> > apps must use "system" settings; this means that the stylesheets
> > (or at least one variant stylesheet) must "track" the system
> > settings (in our case, i.e. gtk+ settings).
> >

> One approach might be to add some gnome-specific (or gtk+ specific)
> extensions to DV's libxslt - there is a standard mechanism to do this,
> ad his library supports it, so that you could add functions to get
> at font choice, size, line spacing, colours, etc.
>
> An XSLT stylesheet can also ask if a partiular extension exists, and
> fall back to defaults if it doesn't, so that the help files would still
> work if you had an unmodified xslt processor.

You could probably also just have th theme selection gizmo write out a
stylseheet as a yet another dot file (or set of user gconf settings) that
then gets used by yelp, with no specific stylesheet development needed[1]

As usual the question is "who will actually implement it"

> Liam
>
> --
> Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
> Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org
> Author, Open Source XML Database Toolkit, Wiley August 2000
> Co-author: The XML Specification Guide, Wiley 1999; Mastering XML, Sybex 2001

[1] for some reason we aren't seeing a large amount of people wanting to
hack on stylesheets queing up

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding