Re: Squares on panel objects

> From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
> Date: 13 Apr 2002 10:58:36 -0400
>
> Trevor Curtis <tcurtis somaradio ca> writes:
> > However much like the "panel highlighting issue", I find this slightly
> > annoying since I never use this feature. I can see that it is
> > incredibly helpful from a usability standpoint though.
>
> Unlike the highlighting one, I don't find this annoying. All widgets
> do the little focus rectangle thing.
>
> You can write a theme that turns it off, though.

In fact you should be able to write an rc-file that turns it off
only for the panel.  You can also customize the color,
dash pattern, and thickness of this and other focus rectangles.

> > If not, is there a way to actually select the panel if I'm
> > in another  window? Currently, I'm not able to
> > select the panel from, say alt-tab'ing.
>
> Sawfish doesn't support this, Metacity has a keybinding for it
> (Ctrl+Alt+Tab at the moment).

Cool, thanks Havoc (you fixed it during Marc M's accessibility talk ;)

BTW, John Harper amended bugzilla bug 70071 to say that he'd added
"cycle-dock" and "cycle-dock-backwards" to the possible sawfish
bindings, but that it would not be bound by default in the standard
sawfish distro.  Sadly, I have been too busy to try it out yet :-/

-Bill

p.s. - the panel highlight issue is still live, since the proposal
we recently came to (only highlight as a result of keynav) appears
to be unimplementable.  Perhaps there's a good case for making this
a gconf-able setting or an X property, since some users really need
panel highlighting and some seem to detest it.