Re: Control center: theme changes.

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> 	The most obvious solution here I think would be to have a GConf key
> that we could use to mirror the _GTK_READ_RCFILES event notification. Of
> course - it would be nice if GConf provided a global event propagation
> mechanism as well as configuration ;-) - but in the absence of that
> simply incrementing an integer key might work.[1]

Doesn't work. There's no guarantee the user has a writable config
database at all, it's totally legitimate not to have one. Then the
value won't change and ergo no notification.

GConf is not an IPC mechanism. Use proper IDL. ;-)

> 	What do people think ? it'd be great to have a solution for this - it's
> been sitting in bonobo bugzilla annoying me for far too long now. Any
> chance of a standard key name ?

I believe it's fixed in GTK 2 because the theme change notification
comes via an xsetting which is monitored by looking at PropertyNotify
on the root window or something, i.e. you don't need a realized window
in order to get the notify.

The xsetting properties will mirror a GConf key (gnome-settings-daemon
propagates from gconf to xsetting, I believe).

Havoc