Integration Issues (plus gnome-doorman)

Hi all,

Quick thought today whilst installing a friend's new Linux box with GNOME...

We need a way of bridging existing 1.4 installations and the 2.0 desktop
release; there are quite a few integration and configuration issues we just
haven't looked at yet because the platform isn't stable enough.

One thing that could help us is a port of gnome-doorman to 2.0. Along side
the nifty desktop setup options, it could take existing settings and migrate
them to GConf, and generally make things between desktop and app platforms
not work like ass [1].

This would probably be appropriate for gnome-love, but it does require good
knowledge of 1.4 and 2.0 - it might be appropriate for gnomecc hackers to
take it on.

Thoughts?

- Jeff

[1] The "like Windows/CDE/Mac" ones would be easy - it could just install
setup options based on those. A "leave my configuration as is" or, more
appropriately, "upgrade my configuration" (dunno how to phrase it well)
would be harder, having to translate old settings over and reset older
settings we're no longer supporting without this evil 'CrackPipe' idea.

--
  "So please lets focus on preparing to beat up our neighbours instead of
   spending all the energy on domestic violence." - Christian Schaller on