Re: PATCH: foobar clock widget

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:17:27PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > I think I have to agree with Mikael here. In terms of a usability
> > experience [1], it it somewhat inconsistent, especially since you can
> > *only* have one menu panel and you can't move it around at all. I think
>
> Actually, these all sound like good reasons to have it - something that
> just works, doen't jump around the screen, only ever appears in the one
> place you want it. It is extremely consistent - in fact its static 8-)

Yeah, original panel menu idea was that it would be there ALWAYS (actually it
wasn't supposed to be a panel originally).  This would make any sort of
support much easier.  You could just say "Click on the 'Applications' menu in
the top corner", instead of trying to figure out what kind of panel setup the
user has.  Having the possibility to turn it off and make your own weirdo
panel setup gives users the flexibility, but keeps some 'ui stability'
anyway.

> This assumes that the user wants to bother itself with stuff like
> constructing a panel as opposed to just using a perfectly nice panel we
> already have.

Plus it opens the possibility of just messing with it unintentionally.
That's what the other panel types are for :)

George

SelfFlamingDisclaimer(tm): My opinions are likely full of shit

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,