Re: [Deskbar] Evolution Handler is now Sync, not Async

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 17:25 +1100, Nigel Tao wrote:

> So evolution.py and the deskbar.evolution Python/C module are now sync,
> which is simpler, without threads, locks, signals, or callbacks, and I
> think less prone to crashing.  My personal address book is pretty small,
> though, and I don't have an LDAP one, so I don't know if synchronous
> querying is unviable from a performance / scalability perspective.

This is a good news, but also a bad news :)

I'd prefer consider this as a workaround for the crash, than a real fix.
I doubt that LDAP addressbooks are fast enough to be accessed
synchronously, maybe there is some caching mechanism, but all in all,
having to block the UI 0.5 second or more to get the matches is
unacceptable, i suppose ?

Can someone with LDAP book test the CVS code ?

I didn't look at the problem in _async, so maybe it's just not doable,
in that case ignore this crap :)

Raf