Re: memory gluttony

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 20:16 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> beagled seems to be quite the memory glutton at times:
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 15240 brian     15   0  995m 324m 6708 S  0.0 36.7 134:46.22 beagled
>
> Surely this can't be normal or expected, right?

This is excessive and almost certainly a bug.

For reporting this bug, please run beagled with the --debug-memory
argument and attach the logs from ~/.beagle/Log to the bug.

If you're looking to do some debugging yourself -- which I think is a
great idea and I applaud you for volunteering ;) -- you may want to look
at using heap-buddy to track this down.  I blogged about my experience
tracking down a memory problem here:

        http://joeshaw.org/2006/03/17/386

Hopefully it's useful for anyone debugging memory usage isues with Mono.