Re: EvolutionDataServer and NullReferenceExceptio

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 14:06 +0100, Bj�aagensen wrote:
> Indexing from evolution data server is very unreliable for me. I'm
> getting the exception below. I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce it.
> Running beagled for a while and doing a few searches always causes the
> exception to occur at some point though.

This bug pops up from time to time across pretty much any of the
backends.  I'm not sure how it happens, but deleting your index
(~/.beagle/Indexes/EvolutionDataServerIndex) will probably make the
problem go away.

It's probably a good idea to file a bug about this, but without an easy
way to reproduce it (and, having seen it myself a number of times, I
know it's basically impossible to reproduce) we might not be able to do
much about it.

On the other hand, if it happens a lot for you and you've been looking
for an excuse to start hacking on Beagle, this would be a good time to
start. ;)

In beagled/Lucene.Net/Store/FSDirectory.cs, line 775:

        file.BaseStream.Seek(position, System.IO.SeekOrigin.Begin);

the exception is probably thrown because file.BaseStream is null.  It
might be a good idea to add some Console.WriteLine() before that to see
what exactly is going on:

        Console.WriteLine ("file: {0}", file.FullName);
        Console.WriteLine ("position: {0}", position);
        Console.WriteLine ("base stream: {0}", file.BaseStream == null ? "(null)" : file.BaseStream.GetType ().ToString ());
        file.BaseStream.Seek(position, System.IO.SeekOrigin.Begin);

All this information in a bug in bugzilla would help a lot.