beagle imap handling?

dear beaglexperts:

could someone please describe for me how beagle handles emails on
external imap servers?

the ad says that kmail can serve as a data source.  does this mean
that after I have set up my imap accounts in kmail, beagle will pull
in all the messages existing on the server?  do the messages have to
have been downloaded (or at least their headers) once, or will beagle
just crawl all mailboxes on the imap server?

actually, I would find imap indexing to be the most valuable aspect of
beagle.  its still  a pity that kmail is not also providing a nice
userfriendly search-agent client interface, but I could live with
this.

information would be appreciated.  I am sure I am not the only one curious here.

PS: I just got beagle through gentoo on my amd64.  it was previously
masked.  nice!

regards,

/ivo welch