Questions for Summer of Code

Hi,
       I am a PhD student at Ohio State University. I have done research
in indexing and information retrieval.
       I have been searching for an alternative desktop search. I looked
for an open source version, thinking maybe I can tweak it for my purposes.
Then, a few days ago, I found about beagle on "Google summer of code" page.
I am certainly interested. However, I'd like to ask a few questions.
       I have a few project ideas in mind. However, last time I used
Linux was 4 years ago. Since I prefer to work on Windows, I searched
"Beagle for Windows" and this is the only thing I find:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dashboard-hackers/2005-January/msg00045.html
which seems to be a porting of Beagle 1,5 years ago.
       Is there a newer, more stable porting? If not, do you think
"working on porting to XP" is a good project? I don't have porting experience,
do you think I can handle that? (If I can finish that, then I would
like to continue to contribute with the other ideas in my mind.)
Best regards,
Ozgur Ozturk
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~ozturk/resume.html
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~ozturk/research/
office phone: (614) 292-4634
PhD Student at CSE dept. of The Ohio State University