Re: Beagle 0.1.1

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 23:24 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Probably - I wasn't aware Beagle was vulnerable in this way -- where
> can I find out more about 'objectionable' files?

Sometimes files that are corrupted or malformed can trigger bugs in the
filters, causing us to consume more memory and/or CPU than we'd like.
This can also happens with certain types of extremely large files, and
is usually a problem with the more complex file formats.  For example,
indexing very large (i.e. 500 page) Word document tends to cause a nasty
spike in CPU usage, and very large HTML files (like auto-generated
tables with thousands of rows) require a lot of memory to index.

These sorts of things are generally related to not-easily-fixable issues
with third-party libraries that we use to process these file formats.
But even if they aren't easily fixable, we'd like to try.  If you have a
document that causes these sorts of problems, please let us know.
Offending documents can be attached to bug reports at
bugzilla.gnome.org, or can be e-mailed directly to us if they contain
private/sensitive information.

-J