Re: Extended attributes lastCrawlAttr

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 19:16 +0100, Richard Taylor wrote:
> This is rather strange, why store the mtime when the filesystem has that
> anyway?

Sorry for being unclear.  We store the mtime of the file *when last
indexed* in an EA.  If the stored mtime != the file's mtime, we know
that what is in the index for that file is out-of-date.

> but at least the meta-data would survive tar or rdiff backups.

This is meta-data that doesn't need to (and in fact shouldn't) persist
when the files are tarred up, etc.  If a bunch of files are indexed on
machine A, and then I tar them up and transfer them to machine B, I
don't want B to think that they are already indexed.

> EA are very trendy at present

They are?  What else is using them?

-J