Re: Will Beagle index PDFs?

It is quite easy to index PDF's. Just use the "pdftotext" as a filter and so, yes, in the very near future it will be done Ralph. In fact, if you can spare a few moments, you can do it yourself on your *Nix box now. Just dump all your PDF's into a directory. Have a for loop running the pdftotext command redirecting your text into corresponding text files and do a simple grep on this directory. I use it this way and let me know if you want the script. I use things in conjunction with "libextractor" which can extract metadata from PDF's as well...

If you are looking at an opensource indexing thing to index PDF's, OpenOffice and all, Google for "Docsearcher" and you should see something...

The important thing is what we need to do with the indexed files. Simple keyword matching is not too intelligent I guess... more later