Re: NOTICE: gnome-pim has branched for 1.2.x

On Thu, 25 May 2000 22:43:14 +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:

>> Calendar hackers, GNOME hackers and translators of all types:
>>
>> This is to let you all know that I have created a new branch,
>> gnome-pim-1-2, for the stable 1.2.x series of gnome-pim.
>>
>> Please apply all bug fixes (including translation and documentation
>> improvements) to the gnome-pim-1-2 branch as well as HEAD.
>>
>> New features/potentiall unstable fixes should be placed only in
HEAD,
>> and/or sent to gnome-pim-maint@gnome.org for review before being
>> committed to the stable branch.
>>
>> Thanks for your continued contributions to gnome-pim and happy
>> hacking!
>
>How 'realistic' is this though with Evolution and everything? Isn't
>gnome-pim now 'obsolete'? (i.e. everyone's hacking on Evolution,
anything
>worked upon will eventually get discarded and used in Evolution).

The simple fact is that despite what one may think, Evolution is not
going to be stable for at least a few more months, and even after
that, there are going to be gnome-pim users who are not going to
switch.  So while it's probably not worth spending significant
amounts of time adding new functionality to gnome-pim, I believe it
makes sense to add bug fixes, at least for the forseeable future.

I don't expect there to be many new features added to HEAD, but the
gnome-pilot folks at least will need to make potentially incompatible
changes since the gnome-pilot API is not yet frozen.  We can make
1.3.x releases of gnome-pim to track new gnome-pilot releases, while
not requiring users of the gnome-pim 1.2.x stable series to upgrade.

Personally, I am shifting my hacking to Evolution as well, but I
intend to review and apply bug fixes to gnome-pim as well.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal    | An RFD to create soc.culture.jewish.moderated
<rms39@columbia.edu> | is currently being discussed in news.groups---