File | Open behavior (bug #1818)

All:

I've been looking at Bug #1818, that selecting an invalid file using
File | Open creates opens a new calendar window anyway.  I have it
fixed in my tree, but before I commit, I want to verify what people
(particularly Miguel and the other maintainers) think is the correct
behavior.

Since we offer File | New and File | Save As, I think the correct
response is to refuse to open an invalid file (display a "File Not
Found" error and return to the file selector); this is what my fix
does.  The alternative, though, is to say that we're emulating the
emacs behavior and treat an open on an invalid file as a request to
create a new file with that name; I think that is at best unintuitive
for the average desktop user, especially when faced with the New and
Save As options.

Comments are appreciated.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999