Re: FreeBSD+Audiophile 2496 -> No sound in Beast: "device not async capable"

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Uri Pui wrote:

Hi list,

I've got the same configuration and problem as this
guy here:
http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698

Does someone know a solution here? I am not running
artsd (btw: artsd runs
nicely)

hm, one reason on that page could be that artsd or another sound
daemon is running, so beast can't open /dev/dsp until that daemon
has been stopped.

but since you say you don't have artsd running (beware sound daemons
may be started in the background automatically), and since no beast
version is mentioned here, the only clue provided is:

beast:BSE-Error:3: Failed to open PCM devices: Device not async capable

and that'll only occour if the following code during /dev/dsp initialization
failed to execute:

 /* to get usable low-latency behaviour with OSS, we
   * make the device blocking, choose small fragments
   * and read() the first fragment once available.
   */
  d_long = fcntl (fd, F_GETFL);
  d_long &= ~O_NONBLOCK;
  if (fcntl (fd, F_SETFL, d_long))
    return BSE_ERROR_DEVICE_ASYNC;

i.e. the device can't be set to non-blocking io for whatever reason.
usually that means that the OSS driver is buggy and has to be fixed
in the kernel.

TIA and Regards,
Uri

---