Re: [Banshee-List] Unlocking dqlite database

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 12:44 -0400, Aaron Bockover wrote:

> Perhaps a little more information... a backtrace, some console output...

    Like what I sent a couple of days ago, yeah.  Except I can't; I've
dumped the thing for a while for it to mature.   I'm annoyed, but
hopeful.

    Yeah, I sound like a hard-ass, and I'm sorry.  I've grown kinda
impatient of late- let me explain. (Or skip on past, 'cause it's mostly
a rant):

    I was convinced kicking-and-screaming to leave my XMMS/IMMS for
something better: Rhythmbox. But RB repeats *the*same*song twice, on
occasion.  Even in a playlist of 500+ titles, it manages to shuffle to
the last-song-played.  It's a bug.  It's a core feature, and should be
reasonably easy to fix. I posted a bunch of details, started the waiting
game, and watched the development.

    For the next year they added lossless-audio tools, a host of
plug-ins,  website integration with Last.fm, podcasts, even considered
video, somehow, while every few hours I'm pushing the 'next' button. I
Posted to formus, nobody cares, I felt kinda abandoned.  How hard can
this be?

    I enjoy the (almost completed) media organization RB brings. Banshee
developers did, too, since it's a workalike. Other than this fatal
problem, Banshee is *spectacular*.  What makes Banshee better is that
the vision of RB is realized completely, where RB strayed off to do
other things.  Like the ability to change the sort-order of the
"library" tag, but no others.  How's THAT work? Obviously, Banshee's
fixed that.

    This rant isn't just about blowing off steam; it's a cry for help in
a development process that seems to be running away with itself for more
features, not complete code. Little things matter.  Patched a year ago,
this kinda bug would have been a trivial fix, now it's complicated with
a lot of other code.  (Speaking from partial experience, not just a
rant)

    Banshee's spectacular- all the features of RB, and has that "things
just work" kind of operation here on Ubuntu Dapper.  It's the kind of
thing corporations pay millions for, on an initial release.  It's done
well, and I'm thankful it's out there.  A real effort to be proud of.

    But right now the fashion is SQLite* just like it used to be MySQL.
People used MySQL for everything, while complaining about a lack of
features. Well now GOT the features, and that slowed things down a bit.
So now they want SQLite, and they want the features again. MySQL has all
that and more.   Not just well-documented with tons of crossover
marketshare, everyone seems to know it. Under Redhat, MySQL has always
been there and usable at install-time.  At least up to FC4; I bailed to
Ubuntu before FC5.

    And right now, being kinda new to SQLite and trying to find the
"unlock" code, yet everyone complaining about the lack of good locking
code.....Banshee's just not ready for me.  But I love it, so I'll wait.
And maybe in THIS iteration of "the" new music player, maybe this time
we can infuse some wisdom...some boring, stick-in-the-mud calls for
completion before taking the project in vastly different directions.

    It's just I've been in computers for about 30 years now.  I keep
seeing people do the same silly things and standing on formality, and
end up doing the same things.  Only the package names/logos seem to
change.

> >     This might be tied to the NFS-homes issue; I'm using home
> > directories mounted remotely...
>
> Maybe you could test this on a local home directory?

    I could, but I only use the NFS directories (local drives are
ancient, the remote drives are new AND RAIDed) but that's ok- I can
wait.   Sooner or later, someone will fix this- I just don't have the
energy to pursue it right now.  :/

    Thanks for noticing and replying, though!

    *SQLite: Yeah, "dqlite" was a typo.  :)
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller