[Banshee-List] iPod shows up in Gnome, not in Banshee

So I'm trying out iPod support in Linux.  When I plug in my iPod, it
shows up on my desktop and I can navigate its contents.  It also shows
up in hal-device-manager.  However, starting Banshee (with the iPod
plugged in) takes forever, uses up all my CPU, and adds this message
to the output of banshee --debug:

"glibtop: This machine has 1 CPUs, 1 are being monitored."

If I start up Banshee with the iPod unplugged, then plug in the iPod,
the same message appears and the CPU is hogged for a short time.

Either way, no iPod appears in Banshee.  It does show up in Rhythmbox
but I don't seem to be able to interact with it or its contents in any
way.  When I try to load it up in gtkpod, I get the following error
dialog, and nothing happens:

"Could not open "iTunesDB.ext" for reading extended info.
Extended info will not be used.
iPod Database Import Failed: 'Failed to read from file
'/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/Play Counts': Input/output error'"

My iPod seems to work fine with iTunes in Mac and Windows.  Do I need
to run an iPod update (currently at iPod SW version 3.0.2)?  Any other
ideas?

Thanks,
Sandy