Re: Balsa marks mails as read on start

On 09/28/2005 10:31:42 AM, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
On 09/28/2005 02:20:55 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
[ snip ]
This is really bad as it could mean not noticing new mail has
arrived in an mbox. Any ideas how to cope with that?

Uncheck "Automatically view message"?

Ooops... yes, that did it!
However, I'm not really sure I want to shut off auto-message view completely. Usually I don't shut balsa down, so it normally keeps running for days.

Nice that it's so stable!

When manually opening an mbox, "Automatically view message" really is a useful feature. It's just when cycling through the remembered-open mboxes on start-up that it becomes a nuisance. Would it be possible to implement an option that disables this feature for just the program start-up?

That could be confusing for a user who doesn't show the mailbox tabs: clicking on a mailbox in the list might or might not open the first unread message, depending on whether the mailbox was opened on startup or is opened in response to the click; without the tabs, the user has no clue about the apparent inconsistency.

Personally, I find auto-view causes more problems than it's worth: it opens one message, but I see a more urgent one and handle it, and then have a hard time finding the first one (deep in an old thread?), now that it's no longer unread.

Best,