Re: Balsa 2.2.0 end user impressions

On 07/20/2004 06:52:53 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
[snip]
> As I mentioned in my first post, a dedicated search line like
> mozilla has is very comfortable. Not just that you don't have
> to popup a special dialog, it intuitivly makes it clear that
> this is a temporary filter applied to the current mailbox.

Is there a screenshot somewhere?  I'd rather not install mozmail
just to see the UI!

Attached. It is actually on my TODO list to implement filtering like this - I think it is really useful. (as soon as I am done with the signing/imap problem, or perhaps even sooner).

[snip]
> That's strange. I mean, my computer has mostly "general
> purpose" keys, just very few have a dedicated use. The "DEL"
> key is one of them, there is a clear function assigned to it.
> Please, tell me how I should explain to my father, why the DEL
> key isn't deleting anything, but the key, which is meant to
> write a "D", covers this functionality.
> I know, the concept of virtually mapping functionality to gp
> keys is quite common, due to the fact there are no alternatives
> - there is no SAVE key, QUIT-, REPLY-, OPEN-, WHATEVER key
> attached to a keyboard. But there is a DEL key, we should give
> at least this one the function it pretends to have.

Yes--it's a strange oversight--perhaps someone can fill in some
history.

The history is that GNOME menus did not allow to use Del as a shortcut since Del was used to _remove_ shortcuts! I think it has changed since then but I guess "D" stayed there for compatibility(?).

Pawel